Sunday 29 April 2007

starting the 1500 word essay

It's not as bad as I thought...most of these blogs are around 1000 words!
I've got my "hook", to compile a show I'd like to see, based on the idea of Squares.

I am going to compile artists, obtuse artists and generally try to create a show that works on many literal and lateral influences of squares (maths, angles, area, borders, surface).I am going to write a review, advert, interview and synopsis for an imaginary show, where my "you and I" work is alongside Mondrian, Malevitch, Long, Innes...I've recently bought: Art Since 1900: Modernism, Antimodernism and Postmodernism. I can kill many birds with one stone (one "essay"), where I can contextualise my work based on the art history I read, I can creatively write a review, in a third person stylee, I can use my Graphic design skills to creatively layout the writing, I can show my understanding of many of the seminars we had, mostly based on Stewart Macdonald's "Curating" seminar.

If It comes off, I think it'll look pretty good...and hopefully read well...that's the main idea!

we also had Susie Beaslie staying over night, and we did discuss modern art, and I find it increasingly interesting that I defend all forms of modern art, I know I've changed my view, or started to understand more, the reasons for conceptual art, the need to push boundareies, in this day and age of "the quest for new". Painting, Sculpture, printmaking, "traditional" forms of art have all got a place int he art world (tell that to the snobs!), but I know that artists are trying to continue Lewitt and Duchamp's dream of a conceptual form of art, where Ideas are the tools and materials to give concepts form...hard to understand if you don't see the value in thinking Vs a "nicely made object", but sure;y it is ideas that are the most important thing in an uneducated and blinkered society?

listening to : Golden - golden : tortoise - lazarus taxon box set

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.