Tuesday 20 February 2007

trip to the woods pt 1

This was from an adventure last Sunday (18th Feb).

Gabs and I went out for a walk to Skene woods, where I was armed with camera and video. Gabi's dad was having a bonfire, and like all men and moths, I was drawn to it!...must...pile...on....woood.....must....burn....twigs.

I'd piled on several piles of conkers, eagerly awaiting their explosion, several satisfyingly bassy pops emanating from the furnace. It's like a time machine for me, early boyish years of fires and forests, perhaps this is why I am always fascinated by these places?

I'd experimented with some glass sheeting, to observe partial reflections of my feet and the ground. The lighting wasn't up to much, so the reflection didn't work too well. I'd noticed the glass when held at odd angles, makes the direction of the feet seem jarred, nonparallel reflections of walking makes me unbalanced, something I'll look into further. I'd like to use this effect for the white space in the MFA room, perhaps pace the area, and record it? I thought this might work on several planes, several videos displaying time lapsed walks, where the viewer would get the feeling of the feet "walking through space" (past each video, like they were windows to another world, just behind the blocks of TV monitors...(need to sketch this)).

I'd also found a fantastic hollowed out tree, still upright. It looked like a woodpecker, or something had hollowed it out to a shell, so I tried to knock it down with a barrage of sticks, to no avail. Again, child like playtime for me.

With all of these actions in mind, individual documentation of each action could result in a "self portrait"...need to research contemporaries who have done similar work, for the "contextual analysis" I need for the MFA.

listening to : shellac - various 7" : iain ballamy - Food

No comments: