Wednesday 9 May 2007

bastard busses

Susie and I head in to Gray's for 10am, to find Mary talking essays to Iain, we try to join in on a group discussion, but Iain deftly steers us into one on one's...so we wait for Mary to finish...2 hours later, Susie is up for review, and she needs to leave at 1.30 (for her class), when 1.30 rolls round, Susie leaves and Iain goes for his deserved late lunch.

2pm, and I nervously showed Iain my essay so far, I was worried that he would criticise it for it's over simplicity, or over reaching huge questions in my introduction (what is art? what is it for? and who is it for?).

Needless to say, Iain tentatively starts reading, he takes his time, pouring over every word and nuance, he often chuckles and mumbles "yeah"...I take that as a good sign! - we often break into discussion about the essay, about the questions I've raised, which spiral off into our usual talks about perceptions, context and tastes, always parabolising our points with music analogies (I'd found that Iain used to work in a small indi record shop when he was a lad...just like I did, we had some great stories to swap (and similarities in experience!) I do like a good natter with Iain, we can talk about babies, kids and tunes in one breath then existentialism and contextual analysis in another, if only we had a pint...)

The criticisms he gives me, are that the intro to the essay is weak on validation from external source / proof (it's mostly based on my opinion (gathered from experience, but not conveyed solidly enough)) I need to read : Believing is Seeing by Mary Anne Staniszewski (ISBN-13: 978-0140168242). Iain tells me of Staniszewski's points reflect my ideas, of art's values, purpose etc. (I take it out from the library after my meeting...so I need to read it before I finish my essay...before Monday... ho ho) I also need to watch my language, when I lapse into conversational style, or sarcasm, I need to keep the tone professional and scholarly, (which is "just" a case of translating my "point" into something more considered, or factual). I also have to be aware of the use of names, I've dropped into first name basis ("jo and tom" - "craig and Ross")...so keep it to surnames, and I'll be fine. (this, my blog, it aint).

I also need to understand the Vancouver referencing system too, when I use quotes, I need to correctly reference them in my document, to validate it, to add gravity to my arguments (after all, it is an essay for an academic response).

The positives are that the essay is concise, it is eloquent, when I discuss the seminars I've been to, again, I just need to liberally sprinkle in some referenced back up).

I felt rather relived, no drastic re-write, no starting from scratch. It's good to hear some criticism along with some "good points", always more motivational than being talked down to.

My phone ran out of battery, I only had spare change enough for one phone call (which I got the house answering machine), and change only enough for one bus ride...so I walked to Hazelhead from Gray's, that took a good hour and a half, only to wait for one of Aberdeen's wonderful busses, with drivers that brim with joy and hapiness, in their job of serving the public...I get to a buss stop, wait 20 mins (in rushour, in the rain)...20 mins...in rushour? is that because the oh so helpful "park and ride" accomodates the people who need to commute in rush hour, "every 15 mins". next, the joyful driver (helpful as ever) (me) "is it 1.30 to kingswells?" (driver) nods. (me) "thank you sir" ---------------
I fucking hate busses and the fuckers that drive them. they are expensive (no wonder no one uses them - put 1/30 in my car, and I am sure you can travel further, more comfortable, faster and to the door. "ah, but the poluition" piss off. London has a brilliant system, cheap, frequent and clean. why can't we? I'd use them more often....

rant over.
listening to : kyuss - queens of the stone age : various - min to max (richie hawtin compilation)

No comments: