Tuesday 15 May 2007

Life drawing 2

After a day of working on my critical analysis and reflection for the studio practice hand in (next monday), I head to Susies for round two of life drawing.

After the fear of last week (not having drawn "properly" in such a long time), I head to mill farm with a bit more confidence. I was pleased to see even the development and improvement through last weeks time, this week was no different.

Again, the five minute poses do not relax me, I get tense and worried (concious) of the time slipping away. Again, I deftfully put down about 3 lines, that don't look like much - I am dissapointed.
We get our first stab at a 30 minute poase, and David (the model) is excellent, I start to relax, and get intot he drawing again. Using the charcoal is so forgiving, the lines are more expressive, non technical compared to a sharp pencil, I relax with the medium ( I used to dread it, a nice sharp 2b used to do for me).
I've even learned (or forced myself) to draw the entire form, before getting stuck on "detail". Old life drawing used to be faces, with a few thin lines spreading from the neck...now, they are explansive, using all the paper. It's amazing that even the unmeasured (on purpose) drawings "make sense".

Susie is using wax "blindly" and then applying washes of watercolour - highly expressive and the complete antithisis of my analytical approach. The outcomes of all the artists (alan florrence, Ana Ladd, Susie Hunt and myself) are completely different, it's amazng to see the array of styles and techniques. It's also comforting to know that we all work well under ouwn own pace and methods - no competition or posturing. We all evaluaet (kindly) each others work. I've particuarly enjoyed talking to alan about his work, he by his own admission is "no drawer, kain" - but some of his work is highly spontaneaus and lively, but some laboured and over worked (he's a smudger, and I said that I prefer the areas without smudging, but he keeps doing it!)

An enjoyable and relaxing (in the end) night!

I nearly run out of petrol on the way home. but dont...thankfully.

Listening to : the bug - pressure : ministry - Side Trax (compilation of side projects, rev co, 1000 homo djs, pailhead etc)

No comments: