Friday 4 May 2007

Nice surprise

From yesterday, I'd talked to Iain about my worries of my "quadrum" idea, when I'd started writing this "fiction" it just didn't sit right with me, it didn't seem like me writing it, it was forced, trite and thouroughly rediculous...so I wobbled. Or should I say, I critically analised my creative output, and realised it was shite.

I'd received a fantastic email from Iain, calming me down, and being very constructive in what I should be doing with this essay. Write about my perceptions, understanings and experience, based on the seminars (after all, that is what the task is!), write about my work, in context to the other practices I have seen, write about shows and curated events I have witnessed.

So, I started from scratch and ended up writing 500 words as an intro to my position, my nderstanding of the "art world". I'll post the finished article...when it's finished.

We (Susie, Mary, Jonathan and I) headded to Mary's to discuss what we had all written so far. Jonathan's (finished) essay is a masterpiece of elloquence, brevity, insight, contextualisation and good old brilliant English. (that is wot is good to me n youz). My only comment to him, is that most of his references rely upont the reader knowing who it is he's talking about, he can deftly drop in names, reference spcific works, but doesn't quite flesh out the reasons as to why he has used them, but, we were only read snippets, so on the whole, the essay itself might answer those concerns...Mary has her usual riddle approach...it's hard to describe her style, it's like a story, or a tale loaded with metaphor and double meaning, it's a pleasure to listen to , but sometimes I don't get the points, knowing chuckles from Susie and Jonathan at specific points make me realise, I am missing the point. I love the language, I love the dream like quality of her writing, it's a pleasure to listen to, but is it factual? (does it have to be?! - so many points of view...I wouldn't like to be marking these!) Susie...has written bugger all, so I feel better for "only" writing 500 words.

I read my intro out, and I get a few responses that make me feel like I've got the point. Like I've actually hit a mark in the realm of MfA thinking (we're always our own harshest critics)...The biggest comment is that Mary thinks it sounds "chippy" (angry, or bitter, cynical in some way). I didn't get that myself, but I wrote it, so I can only see it for what I think it is (funny thing perception!))

ANYYYYWAY...we all left feeling confident, Jonathan and Mary, for the positive we all agreed were good writing excersises, Susie - as she'd taken a lot from hearing how we're all aproaching the task, and me, because I got the vibe that I'd hit upon a decent "interesting" area to discuss...

Gabi, Poppy and I popped along to the Aberdeen Artists opening, to quickly zoom round for a swatch...the nice surprise is that Susie and I's video had been given a "reccomendation", which is fantastic!

so, onwards and upwards...

listening to : sun Ra - space is the place (thanks jonathan)

PS, The election results were a shambles, because of the electronic counting. Who'd have thought it? (oh, I did yesterday!)

No comments: