Sunday 11 March 2007

breath of fresh air pt1.

Today Gabi, poppy and I headed over to Jane Frazer's house, to talk about her NEOS entry "a breath of fresh air", where she is curating a show where new "non commercial" works are to be shown, in the context of her rural home (Finzean).I'd had a recent idea for a work, based on a conversation that Susie was having with Moira and Lois about children in danger (or perceived danger, from the parent's perspective). Susie had recalled a story of when she found a trail of her daughters clothes from her home (in Norway) heading to the beach only 500 meters away. I'd imagined reversing the trail, from inner garments to outer garments, giving a twisted sense of where / how / why were these clothes removed? did the person come out of the sea fully clothed only to strip and be free / nude inland?...I'd imagined that Jane's garden (I knew it had a "wooded area") might suit this work, strewn clothes leading into / out of the wood, but on arrival, realised that the wooded area was not dense enough, it's only around 10 large pines, creating a tall wind break. The strewn clothes idea would not suit this site.
Jane had mentioned that the site was always breezy (a breath of fresh air!). So , perhaps I can harness / utilise the wind for a work? I'd started to think of a large funnel, tapering to a length of elegant / rudimentary bends and corners, taking the funneled wind on a convoluted journey, strengthening it's power as the tube gets thinner. I was thinking of taking the wind inside a building, creating a point inside the outhouse that was a portal to the outside, amplifying the power of the wind. I also thought (linking to my quantitative research) of hooking up an anemometer, to measure the speed of the wind. Possible technologically derived works might be generated from the random speed of the wind. I'd also thought of a simple "face mask" placed over the hole, where it would appear to whisper / whistle...I should sketch these ideas and post them later.

Good news too, in that Gabi and I have both got works accepted for the 2007 SSA show.

Listening to : Einsturzende Naubauten (live dvd, thanks alun!) : smog - supper : Psapp - The Only Thing I Ever Wanted

No comments: