Monday 19 March 2007

getting into gear


Last night I experimented with the webcam colour abstraction program i'd shown last week in the white space. I was experimenting with mirrors, to see how it affected the output, of course, it didn't at all (bar "flipping it", which can be compensated for with the projector), but I did change the "feed", as I'd used the TV. Presenting bright, bold (already "pixilated") images for the webcam to interpret. I had noticed that the output on the ceeling was so disjointed, very chaotic and jumpy, as opposed to the "lively" yet easily settled squares generated by the live webcam feed. This was due to the nature of television, the editing, quick cuts and camera angles making sure that the feed was always changing, instead of a static, room shot from the webcam. One satisfying aspect of the tv feed was the brightness and "true colour representation" (but in reality, a false representation of "real" colours, as it is another step of "interpretation" via RGB pixels withing the TV.). This has certainly given me more avenues to explore. I'd even shown Susie Hunt the array of still images that are taken during the life of the webCam experiment, and she could see that these in themselves could be presented. There are many facets to the work that are hidden, contorted, obvious, interpretative...a holistic presentation would be a great output of the work.

I spoke to Iain today (Monday) too, about Friday's "presentation" to Gray's as a whole. We'd also discussed possible further applications of the work, situations, places etc. Iain had talked (and had obviously been thinking about it over the weekend) about placing a webcam on a busy road, to document rushours etc. We'd talked about the chaotic feeds, perhaps a way of communication the pace and speed of life, perhaps a more obvious way of saying "slow down" to people?

I'd also spoken to Iain about Joanne & Tom's crit the other day, how I feel completely inferior and simple in front of them. I'd also talked about how their (and Steve Hollingsworth's) taste actually creeps into the crits, perhaps we are not all destined to make the sort of work they are hoping we will? and that's not so good when it comes to critiquing people's work. The crits are invaluable, and they do raise our game, but they also are imposing, cold perhaps...sometimes they don't get the best from me, as I do feel lowly and inferior which is counter productive to creating art and new Ideas...I need to feel stronger in arguing "my case" to people who are "above" me, as well as "below" me on an intellectual and artistic platform.

I'd also started to compile and assess the fallout / reactions to the work last week. Questions, statement, observations and reactions to the work. I've also been re-thinking about the non-textual representation of the thought process to document and convey how the work arose, I'd really like to produce a computer based display (web based too), for it's professional look and also simple (?) conveyance of information... that's my next project for the MFA.

Listening to : johnny cash - cash : jimmy Hendrix - live at the Albert hall

No comments: