Tuesday 13 March 2007

Kingswells P3 sculpture #2

Another week, another class, ms Price's class for 7-8 year olds, all itching to get out into the forest...and not do maths or spelling!
Again, like last week, I'd introduced the kids to the Andy Goldsworthy book "wood", and showed them what "natural sculpture" can be, simple placement of fallen twigs, stones etc to emphasise an interesting part of a tree, stone collection etc.
We parked up halfway up the hill, laying down the "rules" (all to be broken, of course, it's all part of the fun of trying to control and teach young kids, who are too excited and caught up in their own world to care what you say!). "Watch where you step, what what you pick up, watch where you put it down...."
Watching the kids in their groups was pretty fantastic, one group had a major problem, 3 wanted to make an Elephant, 4 didn't, I'd acted as a facilitator! talking the group into discussing why they thought it was a bad Idea to have an elephant, and once their thoughts had been aired, they were all happy, and in agreement with one goal in mind. (it was brilliant to see them sort the problem out between them).
Another group had started to make a nest, inspired by my talk 2 weeks ago, the sculpture looked brilliant. The second team started making a river out of wood, with little bridges etc over it, and when I came to see them after a few mins away helping others, they'd changed their idea into a big "fire snail", as they;d assessed what they were building and changed direction, because of how the sculpture was shaping up. I thought this was fantastic, as they'd obviously had a discussion, and all agreed that this was the best way forward. It's also a great example of "critical analysis" from their interaction with the materials.The third team built a wooden fire (where the wood represented the flames), not only did they focus on this elements, but they thouhgt of the space the fire might encompass. A lot of the kids ideas are teritorial, and also homely, talking of people (families) that might inhabit the dens and fireplaces, as group four had also made a teepee, with an interesting garden feature + fireside, "secret" entrances (for all to see!).These guys all worked well together, I was quite astonished that such chaos and activity does pull together into finished work.
Ms Price was lovely, she was very happy with the outcomes of all the students. I am going to make a thankyou card / poster for them, and I will return soon, to talk about a follow-up lesson(s). But I have my Other projects to deal with at the moment. (Leith hall, NEOS, lim bull entry, uni white space etc).

After taking the sculpture class, I headded into uni to try and start my "whitespace". I attempted to stretch canvas from one wall to the next, without much luck, so I am hoping for some help tomorrow.

I'd also gone to see USAisamonster last night, with mr Alan Sinclair supporting, with a wall of noise for 1/2 an hour, it was immense, and quite meditative (Once I had my earplugs in).

Listening to : god - anatomy of addiction : soundgarden - superunknown

No comments: