Friday 16 March 2007

you and I, open to gray's


Today is the day I "showcase" my work in the whitespace. I make a conscious decision to stay in the space, and greet and talk with all the people that came in to see it. Worth every minute. I'd set up in the morning, and discussed the space / work with Susie (who'd kindly come in to drop me off and see the work). She'd worn bright colours, especially, which is lovely!
Once set up, we headed to the cafe for a coffee, but no luck, the machine is broken, but we plump for tea, and end up talking to Clare & Calum, then Iain joins us (nabbing a tea too). Iain talks about the work, and how it made him think of other interactive works he'd seen on his recent trip to Korea, he'd promised to bring in some books (peter greenaway (zed and two naughts) was cited as a contextual reference...so I'll check him out). I'd got the feeling that my work had made Iain think about it longer than he'd spent in the room, which gives me great comfort, knowing I am producing thought provoking and interesting work!
Needless to say, I had a constant trickle of visitors (see animated giff at the top of this page). Merlin came from sculpture, and was "stoked" by it, she went away after a great discussion about art, perception and creativity (how we'll never "retire" as, we all know, the day we stop creating, it's the day we die!).Needles to say, she'd spread the word about my work, and a steady, interested stream of sculpture guys came up to look, experience and discuss. Alan Watson came up too, which I'd appreciated greatly, he'd brought a 4th year sculpture student, Martin, who is currently working on how binary can create and form geometric (cuboid) shapes, and how his work arises from simple tweaking of parameters. We'd discussed parameters, minute variable and nuances that affect work greatly (looking at my cam feed taking in grays varying from the room's "ambiance" for example.
All in all, I'd had about 6 in depth discussion about the work with several groups of interested parties. Some people declared their hatred of PC "art", but with the "soft face" of back projection on canvass, seemed to remove the link from technology and cold systems generating the work.

I'd videoed the work, so the external assessor can get some gist of the work, it's a shame it's only up for 2 days...but that might be a good thing in the long run.

Too much to talk about here, again, I'll write a text based on my observations and reflections of the day. Needless to say, a fantastic day for discourse and stimulating debate. (I like to think that I've introduced a great interest in the MFA by my appearance and confident presentation of the work).

Listening to : colonel claypool's bucket fulll of burnie and brains - big eyeball in the sky : cable - when animals attack.

No comments: