Thursday 15 March 2007

D-day...I-day...W-day!


Today we have a seminar with Joanne Tatham & Tom O'Sullivan, based on the texts we were handed out last week of Carolee Schneeman and Cathy Wilkes . It's a discussion based on feminism (inspired by this edition of freize magazine). Two texts from Carolee Schneeman, one from 30+ years ago, and the other, an interview in freize, 2000 talking about her past work (30 years later). The other texts are a compilation of writings by Cathe Wilkes on "new language" (ways of communicating) citing examples of rap, music, poems etc. and an article on Wilkes by Will Bradley. I'm going to write a reaction to this senminar, as it's far too weighty for a blog...I'll link it in future...promise.


I'd prepared the whitespace room, loading all the technology in, and getting the space up and running (with great relief!), for my group crit with everyone. I'd talked confidently, earlier to the 4th year painting students, who "didn't get it" but after some talking, loved the concept and execution... Again, like the seminar, it's too weighty to write about in full here, so I will upload my writing and reflection on the day for all to read.

Needless to say, after some stressful times, thinking of the space, and how I'd execute my "first installation", I think it came off rather well...not bad for an outsider...(shh, I didn't say that).

No comments: