Saturday 9 June 2007

questionnaire - start

Before I write a lengthy questionnaire, I need to find out if people (I know and don't) are willing to participate. I've drafted a probing email, for my friends and colleagues, as well as an "open invitation" on a local music discussion forum. In one day, I've had about a 90% positive response from my email list, 19 people from the "open invitation" have contacted me, saying they would be interested.

The invited email went like this:

Hello!

As you probably know, I am in the final stretches of my MFA course, and I have to complete a dissertation (also known as the "special study"). I have chosen to look at the perception of truth, fact and how it is conveyed to an audience...this is where I need your help.

I am about to create a small questionnaire - asking about your perceptions of what truth "means", what truth "is" and how you can trust information, how information is conveyed, how bias, factual or emotive is information (in the context of news for example). I am also interested in your perception of the scope of "truth", how close to personal experience does your understanding of "truth" lie? etc....

I am writing to ask if you would be interested in completing a questionnaire? if so, I will send it when I have finalised it. (Within the next week June 11th - 18th).
I hope you can help, I value your input and help (why else would I be writing to you?!)
thanks!
Phil.

I am quite excited by the positive response. It is great to know that providing people with some intellectual stimulation, on a subject that I am sure most people have an opinion on has been successful.

Now all I have to do is write a questionnaire...which is actually harder than I'd originally thought. I have started to jot ideas down, but they all seem far to open, or vague at the moment. I have looked at a few websites in search of help on "writing a good questionnaire", but I recognise that most of the sites are considering that the questionnaires are for market research, or "quantifiable", scientific reasons...and I am looking for opinions and reasoning, not "marks out of ten on what you think honesty is".

This will make my dissection of "answers" impossible to compare / contrast...but, I don't think I can make a data set / representation out of opinions...perhaps I can (or pretend to)...a confusing work of art, based on "apparent fact"...

I need to get writing the questions, I've "promised" I’ll have it ready for "early next week"

No comments: