Thursday 7 June 2007

Special Study evolution

Since talking to Iain about my change in scope, I have started to think more about the use of technology, information and intended use by people of these ideas and methodologies… Iain and I looked at several examples of information presentation in an art context.

Iain asks me several important questions about the formation of my research and creation of artworks. What is it I wish to produce? (Experiential works – to create feelings or ideas based around my perceptions of information interface? Explanatory works – instructional works to convey my position and understanding. A subtle difference but an important difference. I would like to think I could present the two forms of work, but bear in mind that I must distinguish the difference. I feel that I could produce works that will create situations that make people question their perceptions of how information is presented to them via media and mediums. I also know I want to inform and instruct (without being prescriptive) through written work my understanding of what truth means, how information can inform, confuse, polarise and change people’s perception of the world.

I come home and start to document my thought process – a diary as a flow diagram, to see if I can create a visual representation of how my ideas arise and change. I realise the magnitude of trying to map a thought process – this could be a work in itself. It’s amazing to see how thoughts do change, morph and evolve over a matter of seconds. I see leaps from one subject to another. Where do the stimuli come from, in order to make one thing turn into the other? Experience, education, memory and association all contribute to the evolution of imagination – mentally turning objects over in the mind within context, out with context and juxtaposing known “givens” to create new “realities” (if just in imagination). I have a large mountain to climb, but I feel confident I know what I am doing now.

No comments: