Wednesday 6 June 2007

Proforma discussion

Today we assemble and discuss the coming months of our MfA course – semester 3. We are given timetables and discuss what happens when, how things will happen and problems that may arise, that we need to address now (Like the use / rental of technology / access to the technicians etc).

We also present our proforma for special study, to the whole group. When I start to read mine, it morphs and changes as I think about it…I was quite shocked to hear me omit most of the “crux” of what I had written, the exploration of natural experience through technology, and vice versa…I start to talk about the exploration of “truth and trust” within the context of information presentation (media, directive information etc). Steve Hollingsworth jumps upon the use of the word “truth”, and has a real problem, as we all know there is no “absolute truth”, but how can I use words to describe that which I seek to explore to be “right or wrong”. I know my approach to the special study is to explore the perception of “truth”, “trust”, “honesty” and the feelings that arise from these very words. They exist, people use them, so it is fair to use these words when exploring and presenting the potential ramifications of them.

Because of my sudden change in scope of the area of research, I arrange a meeting with Iain to discuss a more accurate proposal of the special study. I discuss the new angle of exploration, about information presentation to inform people, about the use of such information ethically, constructively, directionally and honestly. Again, all the words I use to describe the areas of research will themselves be looked at individually, to try and accurately pin down what they “actually” mean, and why they should or should not be used when talking about information.

listening to : clutch - blast tyrant : sepultura - arise

No comments: