Saturday 23 June 2007

Sketchbook flurry

After yesterday’s fantastic insight into Steve’s brain, how he sees and assesses a space (how we should ultimately see and think of all aspects of our work and placement of it) I start to feel quite excited about it. I need to get in and start playing in the space (Gray’s). His parting advice yesterday was “Keep busy, keep writing” (special study). I need to start to bash out ideas and just “start writing” (as the man said!).

I sketched out some rough Ideas on some of the experiments I’d like to construct. It’s a flood of ideas, one leading to another. I’ve been inspired, but I need to make sure I don’t tie these thoughts down, without playing with the concepts first. I know I need to work with specific elements (design, text, computers, INFORMATION) but I shouldn’t pre-empt the whole process of creating works. I do want to thread through ideas from previous works (Steve talks of his interest in how I saw the “you and I” installation develop through to the INtent experiment, and how it “appeared” to be open to input / ideas from the public (all be it a stoned 20 something). It is that openness – undefined but created by me. It is that quest to create something that can survive and exist on its own merits through me that will get me the MFA, it is that understanding that creating an artwork must be unrestrained by my simplistic definitions (“find your language Phil”). It is in reading periodicals and reviews that one can start to obtain the language for discourse – intellectual vocabulary that gives authority and conviction to my practice. I’ve got the ideas, sure, I’ve got the ability to create and “release” work into the wide world. It is my inability to talk about it without pitching (Jo and Tom) and without constraining the concepts within the work for an audience (Steve).

No comments: