Monday 9 July 2007

getting naked


I collect several large boxes from Costco, so I can make the mock-up of my “hearing aid for a shed”. I had a brainwave in getting the template onto the card…I designed the template for one section on the computer, and projected it onto the card, and drew round it – perfect! I then created 6 panels and set to work taping them together. I found that the “flute” of the trumpet, if flared, makes it curve back round on itself (see photo). It’s very helpful to see this in card and 3d, before making the “real thing” out of steel (which I still need to buy).

I also filmed my idea from yesterday about my reaction to “it looks like you are trying to make something that looks like art”. I made sure that there was a sign on the door “do not enter” (stating the time (17.42)) I took off all my clothes and set up the cameras and equipment, and filmed me writing lines of “I must not make something that looks like art” for 10 minutes, until the A3 sketch book page was filled. The idea of the work is based on chastising, “naught boy” – academic (school scenario) and vulnerability. The technical aspect (aesthetic) I am also thinking about, in the execution of the work, is the double projection. It’s a filtration of the idea I had for “seeing a subject at one time from many angles” ( the sixteen camera request that was so deftfully ignored by Iain). Once I had executed this, it made me think about the application of the technique to some of the ideas I had about bias in newspapers. In my sketchbook, I had drawn an idea for the “combat” of left and right political positions in newspapers (sun Vs guardian) : back to back projections, set against a wall, so people can not walk round it, to make the relative positions “ambivalent” - I will augment the two ideas, so I could vide myself reading news papers from left (the guardian) and right (the sun). I have also thought about the inclusion of costume, to dress as one would expect a stereotype to dress (white van man vs suit / casual liberal) (?)…

I try to quickly play the two videos back through the two projectors, but I don’t have all the right cables, I will bring them in tomorrow and test it, to see what it looks like in the space.

2 comments:

Paul Allan said...

Maybe you should have locked the door... maybe you wanted to get caught eh? ;) Cheeky.

lepeep said...

I can't lock the doors silly saussage. only the jannies have the keys...wink wink.