Wednesday 25 July 2007

Keith Tyson

I’ve completed the intro and “chapter one” (overview of media within art). I have also made a fair dent in writing about Keith Tyson and started on Simon Patterson’s works. I am exploring their methods of questioning – the areas in which they practice, I have taken the tack that they are exploring pre-conceived notions, whereas Tyson explores the preconception that we (as a general public) see science as impenetrable and presents us with ideas and illustrations of scientific endeavour, with an ambiguous and nondescript way. It is this exploration of information – conceptual, abstract and seemingly incomprehensible which rules our lives (unseen) but giving us “laypeople” a possible entry level, to start to comprehend quantum physics, the nature of atoms, to complexities of scale (micro to macro). I also explore his sense of play, a humorous touch to his works, which again strengthen his position as a conduit, an avatar for us to hold hands with – to take us to places where we never imagined going. His sense of ridicule (or the ridiculous) run in comparison with Hirschhorn, but Hirschhorn’s sense of humour is (how can I say this?) more serious. His sense of irony, or black humour is more evident than Tyson’s sense of Beano presentation. Cartoon style graphics, sculptures straight out of mad scientists lairs area all in Tyson’s vocabulary, but with the sense of humour comes a sense of responsibility – to tell the truth…well, be honest. His honesty shines through with conviction – listening to snippets of an interview on the BBC, he speaks with a down to earth style, a simplicity, but alluding to an understanding, or perception of the complexity he questions – yet juxtaposed with the sense of never being able to “fully know”. I love his sense of vastness; he openly admits to the open, unrestricted creation of work, not tying his practice down to one form, sculpture, or painting…
“I feel sorry for the person who has to put it down in one paragraph. I couldn’t. That’s why I’m making all these different things” and
“I want to find the right form to manifest the idea. It is purposeful to give them massive stylistic diversity”
Reading about Tyson gives me strength to be who I am, and make the work I do – as long as I do it with conviction, who’s to say “you are wrong” if you can convince people of your intentions? – there are no rights and wrongs in art, the only worries are, if the work is uninteresting, or dishonest, “taking the piss” (in lay speak).
I stick the Independent onto the Full Stop today…but forget to take a photo of the paper “before”…and I’ve found that buying one a day after, from them costs £5.99 (Bastards)

No comments: