Tuesday 10 July 2007

more cardboard horns.

I head to the Library to check if the book I ordered is in (Trust in Technology). It is! and it’s not too scary a book, It mostly (from a quick scan) talks about the trust of computer systems (vis-à-vis Nuclear Power Plants, Air Traffic Control etc). But, there are some interesting quotes I can see coming out of it already.
“Through learning to trust others, we learn, one way or another, to trust things and likewise, through learning to trust material things, we learn to trust abstract things…” (Silverstone)

I also pick up a gutter from B&Q, to hopefully turn into my waterfall for projecting onto (see sketchbook). More of that later, but I also pick up masking tape, to replace the stuff I “borrowed” from Susie. I have also picked up some new cardboard from Costco, and set about creating a new model for the “Hearing aid for a shed”. This time, I make the template less fluted, as the previous experiment folded back on itself. This one is more “functional” and simple – I could afford to put a little more fluting on it, but as it stands, it looks very commendable as a sculpture. I also set about covering it with newspaper too, like the previous model. I like to see it as recycling – or should I say “re-contextualising”. It is interesting the opportunities these unforeseen situations throw up. The ease and quickness of creating these models is helpful, I can create many different sizes, and play with them, I will endeavour to make several smaller ones and try connecting spaces, as I had talked about before, to create an anonymous “confessional”, or simple, lo tech “eavesdropping” device. The culmination of all of these ideas based on the theme of this one trumpet have spiralled into some new forms, I have been thinking about putting several “inputs” into the horn, videos of me reading newspapers (sun, guardian, times, mail etc). The resulting cacophony would be interesting to hear…much like Bruce Nauman! – work work work…it’s my new mantra.

I've uploaded a few of the videos I have shot (studio testing) over the last few days, but I noticed that there was no sound...I'll fix that tomorrow.

Jo an Tom tomorrow, I’ve got a lot to show and tell, I just hope that my “language” (and contextual awareness) is up to scratch.

1 comment:

Paul Allan said...

Check out 'The New Nuclear Danger' for more on decaying computer systems in the former Soviet regions putting us on the edge of nuclear catastrophe... scary stuff.