Saturday 14 July 2007

Paint it black

Friday is a late start; Gabi and I decide to take poppy swimming at Westhill – but the timetable has changed. We head back home and have some dinner. I head in for 1pm. I buy a guardian for the “full stop” project. Once pasted onto ball, I think about the ink that is always deposited onto my hands. I think of it like war paint, a “tribal mark” from the specific paper I am touching. I think about photographic portraits, with ink marks on my face – I take photographs of my hands to start with. I need to ink up my face (perhaps paint my face, with newspaper colours – much like my old maple “black is back” photo shoot?)

Thinking about the newspaper “speech bubble” above my head, every time I walk into the room, I think about a digital version – that could be displaying “real-time” headlines…I like the idea that this projection could appear to be people’s thoughts or opinions, or even thoughts and opinions forced upon someone that walks under them…this makes me think of the possibility of tracking people with a web cam, and displaying the bubble above the person as they walk past the wall…I like the idea of visible opinions forced upon people, it’s a dictatorship of technology, another thing the viewer can’t escape from – other than “get out of its view” – I set up a very basic test of a bubble, moving back and forth, with “random” (from a list of 14 made up titles) headlines. I project it onto the wall and discover that the bubble is far too large, perhaps I need to shift the projector position (longer shot, bigger area). All of these Ideas need to be assessed, and I’ll discuss the merits with Steve next week about them, which one’s he feels are strong…and which ones are just a waste of time (none of them! As I’ve said, this to me is like a crash course of practice generation…A much needed splurge of creativity in such a wonderfully large space – something I’ve not been afforded all year). I’ve got the energy, I’ve just got to prove that I can do it all (dissertation, ideas generation, ideas editing & execution – to a finalised MFA standard). (Energy YES, Quality NO…thanks Thomas).

I paint the trumpet inside black…and I get the feeling that this object is now looking like a rather silly macho prop, a red and black phallic celebration of power…in a rather jovial, cartoon way (a cardboard floppy trumpet…) Perhaps it is “ridiculous”, I’ve heard Hirschhorn talk about feeling “ridiculous” in front of his art, and I can see how that works now, it’s the questioning of my own sense of taste, my own parameters of expectation. Perhaps making “stupid things” is a needed way forwards for me, to loosen my sense of aesthetics up, to remove the need to have a “beautiful object” as my “art”. The best thing about making sculptural forms out of cards, is it is cheap! – I need to save money, and this helps. I also like the lack of care I have for the objects (only time is “wasted”, but not when I learn something from this process). I can apply, remove, bend, kick, throw, paint, squash…do anything to these grand “sketches”. I like working in this material.

No comments: