Friday 6 July 2007

trumpet part 3


I finished pasting the newspapers (broadsheets) onto the trumpet’s interior today, I also created an extension to fit onto the end of the horn (a mouthpiece), which is slightly too big, so I insert it from the inside and jam it into position (the extension is now about 30 cm inside the funnel, but in the final steel structure, I’d ensure that the extension was the same size as the end of the trumpet structure, so I could weld it in place flush. I have also inserted a large blue tube (that Mary supplied), and I played it like a didgeridoo whilst videoing it. When playing the “instrument” I started experimenting with the didg techniques I know – one of which worked particularly well, “talking” down the pipe while droning sounded great. I spoke “read all about it” as the drone carried on, the distortion and illegibility adds to the confusion. When I showed Gabi the video, she said it reminded her of a tribal war cry (I’d been thinking of the “horns of Helms deep” in lord of the rings (http://www.tuckborough.net/fortress.html#Helm's)) – the use of tribal instruments to “rally troops” – to spread a message to a specific set of people, “music” to some, terror and impending conflict to some. It’s the tribal nature of these simple forms (drums might be an option too – created from “newspaper skins”) adds to my feelings of a “base nature” in all these newspapers – gangs of “types” thinking that their paper is “the truth” and defence of their position is paramount to the survival of the doctrine.

No comments: