Sunday 22 July 2007

upload video ideas to youTube

More internet research to find specific media criticality in fine art : several gems, to which I have created a word doc of NAMES, URLS and QUOTES – all for inclusion and reflection within the dissertation. – I am thin on the ground with “general media criticism” (as a general area of interest AND fine art specific) – but find several excellent sites (http://www.transparencynow.com ) being one such site and (http://www.criticism.com) is another excellent, yet condensed site. Some excellent writing and major point to reflect upon.


I have also uploaded 2 of my video experiments to YouTube (www.youTube.com/lepeep) - I have also advertised their locations on Aberdeen music & myspace. I’ll keep you posted as to any comments / reactions. One “instant” feedback I got from a fellow AB music user was : “Woah, the double paper one played with my mind. Good stuff man!”. Another interesting comment, was from the local AB music troll “stripey” (I fear I give him some ego boosting airtime just mentioning him!), but –

“Any remnant of respect for you which I may have been harbouring has been destroyed, you're a worthless piece of trash and I'm not even going to bother making any nathan barley references because these bullshit videos speak for themselves.”

I like the fact he’s taken the time to look at them (!), and the last part : “…videos speak for themselves” (yip, cleverly taken out of context…I feel like a movie poster writer already!) is certainly what I am looking for – if an artistic video can function on its own “speak for itself”, I think that’s a strong piece of work! It’s disappointing, but also very interesting that he is a Chris Morris fan (referencing Charlie Brooker & Morris’s “Nathan Barley” – the bastion of art wank embodied in a channel 4 “watered down” version of the “tv go home” (ficticious episode) “cunt”. It seems that good old Stripey does not get the irony of media criticism in an artistic context (Brass Eye, the Day today) – perhaps it is because that these programs are a more obvious form of criticism, genius and subtle (and boldly brutal too) that “fine art” doesn’t cut the mustard with him, I should ask if he thinks any performance / installation / conceptual art is “any good” but – he is a “hater”, so I take everything he types with a pinch of salt, so I reply with “thanks for checking out the videos!” – Trolls are like annoying kids, I should just ignore them and they go away, but sometimes it’s fun to play with them.

I stick the Scotland on Sunday to the Full Stop.

No comments: